IMPROVING YOURSELF

05:37:00

I suddenly had the idea of writing this post when I watched a video from a Youtuber (Estee Lalonde). I'm subscribed to her lifestyle and beauty channel for a few years now and have watched a lot of her videos. Then, I came across this one titled 'How To Get Out of a Rut'. OK, so I'm not necessary in a rut, but after watching the video, she mentioned a few good points that I couldn't agree more to - I immediately thought 'what a perfect tip/advice'. I've compiled some that I totally agree with and added a few of my own. 


I think now is the best time to write this as we've just started the new year. Maybe this can help some of you become a better person in the years to come, or as a resolution? haha. If not all, maybe some of these points could be helpful. What I've listed down here aren't necessarily for people who wants to get out of a rut, but more like how you can improve yourself and be a better you! You make your own changes!

Think positively
I know this sounds so cliché but I think the first thing to do is for your mindset to change. Try to instil in yourself to always think positively of people, of things, of situations, so that your mind is at ease to be able to make wise decisions.

Connect with God
Always make time to connect with Allah s.w.t. / God, whether you are in a bad situation and you want to seek help and guidance, or when you are in a good position and you want to be thankful and grateful. He is the one you should turn to. Don't use your busy schedule as an excuse for not having the time, because when you turn to Allah sincerely even when you're busy, He will always make things easier for you. So always make time to please Allah and try hard to make yourself a better Muslim (more religious). 

Exercise
I really love this one because this is exactly what I need when I'm stressed or tired of doing work on my laptop all the time. Being physically active gets my mind of things. When you exercise or play sports, your body releases endorphins, which is like happy pills and gives you a sense of satisfaction and positivity. Right now, I play squash on quite a regular basis. If I don't get that sweat out for a about a week, my body feels weird and weak. So exercising is not just good for your health, but also your state of mind.

Have a hobby
I've always admired people who have hobbies. Be it a particular sport, music, art, photography, or anything really that they're passionate about. I think this also works out like exercising, it brings happiness when you do it. If you don't already have a hobby - find one! It'll change your life because you'll have that portion of your life where you do something you truly enjoy. I'd say it's sort of an escape from your stressful everyday life. haha.

Be more creative
I like this one - creativity can mean a lot of things and you can be creative in anything in life. People always say think outside the box, and my definition of that would mean to be creative. When you are creative enough, you might stand out from other people, but that's what we're talking about! Don't be afraid to be bold and to stand out.

My attempt to be creative and draw a dinosaur on snow for 'Abid. :)

Hang out with different people
It's not that you're getting bored of your usual circle, but sometimes it's just refreshing to meet new faces, have different types of conversation and learn new things. Diversify who you hang out with. Don't just play with that one or two friends. You need to get out and meet people of different age group, different backgrounds and different experience in order to grow!

Be kind
Yes. Be kind to the people around you because that'll pay off sometime in the future. What you give you get back, remember? Make some random act of kindness, and try to make a simple kind gesture at least once everyday. You'll feel the difference in how your life changes to the better.

Do something full-heartedly.
Everybody have their own responsibilities. Whether it's their job, or study, or whatever it may be. Do it with full sincerity and whole-heartedly. Don't ever regret your life choices and feel like it's a burden to you, but try to like and gradually enjoy what you do. There's nothing worse than living your life doing something you don't enjoy.

Have something to look forward to
This is really a good way to go through life. When you have something you look forward to, you're behaviour automatically changes and you become more positive. Your work seem to be more productive because you're looking forward to something that's coming. For example, you booked a holiday, or an event that's coming. You get that happy feeling in yourself that you're in a good mood all the time!


Read books & always be open to learn new things
I've tried to practice this because I love reading books. It's like watching a movie where you're taken somewhere else with full imaginary. But now, I don't really have time to leisurely read a book because, let's face it, I'm suppose to be reading journals, haha. But still, I buy books from time to time and keep them on my shelf in case I do get the time (and not scrolling through social media), I'd grab them to start reading. I think, I'm gonna have to make a a certain time to read, like 30-mins before bed or something like that. hmm...



Look after yourself
Nobody else if going to look after yourself than how you will. Be presentable, neat and organise. Be someone you'd want to be friends with. Always take care of your health and listen to your body. There's only one YOU - who else will love you if you yourself don't treat yourself right. 

I have this one quote that I've kept on for years now. It was from a friend who said it me: "To meet awesome people, you have to be awesome" and I couldn't agree more to that. By remembering that, I will always try to improve myself to become a better me, if I want to meet people who have already reached that 'improved' stage. :)

Anyway, until then.. Watch Estee's video here:

P/s: I am so busy with my study right now, but I just had to snuck in a moment to write and share this with you! :P
Oh, and my family is coming in a couple of days! Yayy! Can't wait!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe