MY PHD VIVA STORY | UNIVERSITY OF SHEFFIELD

08:17:00

Alhamdulillah, my PhD journey has come to this moment, the viva. So basically the PhD viva is like an examination, or an interview if you prefer, for examiners to ask you all sorts of questions about your 4-year long research and what you have written in your thesis. If you're a PhD student, then you'd know that this is the moment that you have been waiting for for years, and also the moment that you dread the most. It's what determines whether you pass or fail your PhD study. 

So my PhD viva was scheduled on 5th September 2019, at 10am. I remember I studied so hard on the coming weeks before my viva (though having a wee little baby made it a lot more challenging, haha). On the morning of my viva, I suited up, put on a blazer, shirt and scarf that I had ironed the night before. Had a light healthy breakfast as I didn't want to upset my stomach if I had anything heavy of fancy. I don't even remember if I had coffee that morning, but I remember thinking to myself and having the conversation with Fizal that sometimes (though very rarely), if I'm just unlucky, I'll suddenly get an upset stomach if I drink coffee first thing in the morning. So I didn't want to take the risk.

I walked to the Arts Tower while reciting doas and surahs in my heart. Once I had reached the Arts Tower, I took the paternoster up to the 13th floor, where my viva venue would be. I remember being very early for this, because I wanted to read and prepare myself a little bit more, but then I also remember regretting coming a little too early, because the wait, alone was dreadful! I continued reciting doas and some surahs, and then scrolled through my phone, trying to take my mind off what's to come. It was nerve-wracking. I received text messages from my families and friends wishing me good luck. I kept looking at my watch, 10:10am. I was still not called in yet. My internal examiner, Helen Woolley came over to me and apologized for the late start and told me that I will be called in shortly, as they were still preparing. Staff at the department of landscape that passed by wished me good luck. I smiled and thanked them nervously. 10:25am, still not called yet. I remember thinking, "oh God, why am I being called in so late, what is taking them so long, why the long preparation".. .And then.... I saw Helen again for the second time, and she said "Hi, Hannah, we're ready for you, please follow me". 

And there I was... followed behind her to my viva room. 

I was greeted by by external examiner, Dr. Mark Gush, who was a South African researcher and now leads the Environmental Horticulture team at the RHS. I sat down on a chair in front of them, we were separated by a desk that had my PhD theses on it. I put my copy on the table, and then it started. 

I'm not actually going to go through what questions I was asked, because it is not why I wrote this post. But my viva actually ended earlier than I had expected. It was just a little over 1-hour (phewww!). I wasn't asked much on the general typical viva questions of "summarize your thesis in 3-minutes" or any published works that were close to mine, etc., though I had practiced and had been preparing for these questions. I was asked quite a lot of technical questions, relating to my data and analysis, quite a few on my methodologies. The questions were very detailed and even the 0.01 decimals in my thesis were evaluated, and commas and full stops in my list of references were checked. After just a little over an hour, I was asked to leave to room for both examiners to discuss before announcing my result. I sat just outside the room anxiously, waiting to be called back in. After around 5-10 minutes or so, I was called in, and both examiners gave me a smile. They told me I had passed the viva given that I submit my corrections within 6 months. Alhamdulillah!!! Honestly, I really don't remember how I felt back then, but I knew I was in disbelief that it was over. Both examiners congratulated me, and I asked them if I could take a photo for me to remember this day by. Dr. Mark took my thesis and said "you'd need this to take a photo" and there we were - one of my biggest career achievements in a single photo. 

PhD viva, Sept 2019 | University of Sheffield. 


Of course my little bub came and greeted me at the Arts Tower. Fresh after the viva.

My all-time support system throughout my PhD journey. <3

My friend Tina also took her time out of her work to see me and congratulated me for passing the viva. Thanks babe!

.

.

.

.

.

In all honesty, I'll tell you this, I thoroughly enjoy my viva experience. I was nerve-wracking in the beginning, but as you explain your work and there was a two-way conversation, it became like a discussion. My examiners even gave me tips and recommendation on publishing my work on some other things related to my thesis. It felt like a very intellectual discussion than an examination to me. I really thank God for this amazing experience and for giving me two nice examiners. :) 


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe